School Leader Residency
RTR-SLR is a residency program grounded in RTR’s vision and mission and focused on two pillars, developing: 1. strong instructional leaders and 2. culturally responsive and equitable school leaders. These pillars are the common thread running through the VCU Post-Master’s Certificate in Educational Leadership courses, supplementary seminars, and targeted leadership activities. What makes this program unique is our gradual release model where Residents merge theory and practice by first observing and learning from an outstanding in-field mentor (usually their school building principal), and then being released to independently demonstrate leadership competencies aligned to Virginia’s Guidelines for Uniform Performance Standards and Evaluation Criteria for Principals. Through our robust coaching and support structure, Residents experience, reflect on, and internalize what it means to be an effective school leader and, ultimately, are well-prepared to take on a leadership role post residency.
Tuition and fees are covered for the Post Master’s Certificate in Educational Leadership in exchange for three years of employment in your current division.
- Master’s degree in the field of education or a master’s degree that meets the requirements for a teaching position
- Active teaching license; Postgraduate Professional License or Pupil Personnel Services License
- Three or more years of successful, full-time experience in a public school or accredited nonpublic school
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Intent
- Short Answer Questions
- Three References (one of which is your current supervisor)
- 45-minute interview
The RTR SLR application deadline is Thursday, February 15, 2024. https://tinyurl.com/C3-SLR-Application
You will also be required to submit your application to VCU Post-Master’s Certificate in Educational Leadership by Monday, April 1, 2024.
For any questions please reach out to Dr. Lacey Seaton (email@example.com) or Suhani Vakil (firstname.lastname@example.org).